On Tuesday, the official shortlist for this year’s International Booker Prize was announced:
- Still Born by Guadalupe Nettel, translated from Spanish by Rosalind Harvey (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Standing Heavy by GauZ’, translated from French by Frank Wynne (MacLehose Press)
- Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov, translated from Bulgarian by Angela Rodel (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- The Gospel According to the New World by Maryse Condé, translated from French by Richard Philcox (World Editions)
- Whale by Cheon Myeong-kwan, translated from Korean by Chi-Young Kim (Europa Editions)
- Boulder by Eva Baltasar, translated from Catalan by Julia Sanches (And Other Stories)
It always fascinates (and frustrates!) me how different groups of people come to different conclusions on the same set of books. There are some good books on this shortlist, though it wouldn’t be my personal selection – and I suspect our Shadow Panel shortlist (which we’ll announce on Tuesday 2 May will also be quite different.
Tony from the Shadow Panel has his thoughts on the official shortlist here.