Book of the Month
November turned out (by accident rather than design) to be a month where all the books I blogged originated from this year. And the best of the lot was Christopher Priest’s first novel in nine years, The Islanders — an exquisitely crafted piece of work which provides a set of narrative pieces in the form of gazetteer entries, and leaves readers to construct the story (or stories).
- The Islanders by Christopher Priest [****]
- The Silver Wind by Nina Allan [****]
- ‘Sullom Hill’ by Christopher Kenworthy [***½]
- Landfall by Helen Gordon [***]
- The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett [***]
- ‘Remains’ by G.A. Pickin [***]
- Three pieces from Granta 117, by Will Self, Rajesh Parameswaram, and Julie Otsuka
- …and I completed my story-by-story review of A Book of Horrors.