The International Booker Prize shortlist was announced today:
- The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree by Shokoofeh Azar, translated from the Persian by an anonymous translator.
- The Adventures of China Iron by Gabriela Cabezón Camara, translated from the Spanish by Iona Macintyre and Fiona Mackintosh.
- Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann, translated from the German by Ross Benjamin.
- Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor, translated from the Spanish by Sophie Hughes.
- The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, translated from the Japanese by Stephen Snyder.
- The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated from the Dutch by Michele Hutchison.
(Links are to my reviews.)
That’s a good shortlist. I’m not a great fan of Tyll, but I wouldn’t argue with the rest. The Memory Police is probably my favourite.
The shadow panel will be announcing our shortlist next week. I wonder how similar (or different) it will be to the official one.