The judges of the 2018 Man Booker International Prize announced their shortlist on Thursday:
- Vernon Subutex 1 by Virginie Despentes, tr. Frank Wynne (France, MacLehose Press).
- The White Book by Han Kang, tr. Deborah Smith (South Korea, Portobello Books).
- The World Goes On by László Kraznahorhai, tr. John Bakti, Ottilie Mulzet and George Szirtes (Hungary, Tuskar Rock Press).
- Like a Falling Shadow by Antonio Muñoz Molina, tr. Camilo A. Ramirez (Spain, Tuskar Rock Press).
- Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi, tr. Jonathan Wright (Iraq, Oneworld).
- Flights by Olga Tokarczuk, tr. Jennifer Croft (Poland, Fitzcarraldo Editions).
I ended up prioritising reading over reviewing this year, so I haven’t been talking much about the longlist on here. Suffice it to say that my two favourite books were Frankenstein in Baghdad and The White Book (which I still hope to review), so I’m pleased to see them both on the shortlist.
We’ll be announcing the shadow panel’s shortlist this coming Thursday. Watch this space…