The official shortlist was announced a couple of weeks ago; we of the shadow panel have totted up our scores and are ready to announce the shadow MBIP shortlist for 2017:
- Compass by Mathias Énard (translated from the French by Charlotte Mandell).
- The Unseen by Roy Jacobsen (translated from the Norwegian by Don Bartlett and Don Shaw).
- Bricks and Mortar by Clemens Meyer (translated from the German by Katy Derbyshire.
- Judas by Amos Oz (translated from the Hebrew by Nicholas de Longe).
- Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin (translated from the Spanish by Megan McDowell).
- Fish Have No Feet by Jón Kalman Stefánsson (translated from the Icelandic by Philip Roughton).
Four titles overlapping with the official shortlist, but quite a different list in character even so, I’d say.
We will be choosing one of these six books as our shadow winner, which we’ll announce shortly before the official winner is revealed on 14 June. For the last two years, the shadow and official panels have chosen the same winner. Will that happen again this year? Only time will tell…