As August draws to a close, here’s the usual look back at activity on the blog.
Book of the Month
No contest this month — the best book I read in August was Robert Shearman’s superlative story collection Love Songs for the Shy and Cynical. Certainly the best book of short fiction I have read so far this year, I expect it’ll also feature on my best-reads-of-2011 list.
- Love Songs for the Shy and Cynical by Robert Shearman [*****]
- Window on the World by Hugh Cornwell [***½]
- Submarine by Joe Dunthorne [***½]
- ‘Nowhere Hall’ by Cate Gardner [***½]
- Genus by Jonathan Trigell [***½]
- The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood [***]
- The Milkman in the Night by Andrey Kurkov [***]
- In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar [***]
- Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett [***]
- Where Would I Be Without You? by Guillaume Musso [**]