After the official International Booker shortlist, it’s time for the shadow panel to announce ours. We’ve done our usual process of reading and scoring. Here are the six books that have risen to the top for us:
- While We Were Dreaming by Clemens Meyer, translated from German by Katy Derbyshire (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- The Birthday Party by Laurent Mauvignier, translated from French by Daniel Levin Becker (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Is Mother Dead by Vigdis Hjorth, translated from Norwegian by Charlotte Barslund (Verso)
- Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov, translated from Bulgarian by Angela Rodel (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- Whale by Cheon Myeong-kwan, translated from Korean by Chi-Young Kim (Europa Editions)
- Boulder by Eva Baltasar, translated from Catalan by Julia Sanches (And Other Stories)
So, half of our shortlist is the same as the official one, but – as I predicted in my post on the official shortlist – we have gone in quite a different direction overall. I’m sure we will have some interesting discussions on the way to our shadow winner.
The official winner of the International Booker Prize will be announced on 23 May, and we’ll reveal our shadow winner shortly before then.