2021 Reading Log
This page is where I keep track of everything I read during the year, with links to where I’ve written about it.
7. Soji Shimada, Murder in the Crooked House (Japan, 1982 tr. 2019). Endearingly absurd locked-room mystery. [***]
5. Afonso Cruz, Kokoschka’s Doll (Portugal, 2010 tr. 2021).
4. Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country (Japan, 1937 tr. 1956). Classic Japanese lit is one of my stumbling-blocks, so I thought I’d try this to see if I would fare any better. Sadly, I still found I was missing something. [***]
3. Nicholas Royle (ed.), Best British Short Stories 2020. The tenth volume in Salt’s annual anthology series. [****]
2. Yoko Ogawa, The Housekeeper and the Professor (Japan, 2003 tr. 2008). Re-read for book group. Still delicate in its observation of a relationship forged on a shared appreciation for the eternal beauty of mathematics. [****]
1. Abidemi Sanusi, Looking for Bono (Nigeria/England, 2020). Sparkling tale of a Nigerian man who resolves to use celebrity to draw attention to local problems, but becomes something of a celebrity himself. [****]